The moving process is certainly not easy, so make your life easier with these moving box hacks.
- Use Craigslist’s Free Section to Get BoxesCraigslist’s free section is a great place to find moving boxes. If not, call every store in your area, from department stores to furniture stores. They will likely have boxes that they are recycling and will give them to you for free, saving you a lot of money in the process.
- Cut Your Own HandlesDon’t pay for boxes with handles. Use the free ones and cut your own handles into them with a box cutter.
- Don’t Waste Time Taking Clothes Off Hangers: Use This Hack InsteadFor clothes that you have on hangers, don’t bother taking them off the hangers. They can stay right where they are! All you need to do is group a bunch of clothes on hangers together and slip them into garbage bags. Garbage bags with handles are ideal because you can use the handles to wrap around a group of hangers in order to keep them together. For any clothes that you keep in drawers, roll them instead of folding them. You will save space.
- Keep Your Boxes Under 50 PoundsAlthough you may be tempted to fit as many things into one box as possible, avoid filling moving boxes over 50 pounds. This will protect you from any injuries. For heavy items, pack them in suitcases instead.
- Do Not Pack Your Essentials: Pack an Overnight BagIt will likely take you a few days to unpack all of your belongings, so the first thing that you should pack (but not into one of your moving boxes) is an overnight bag that has all of the essentials like your toothbrush, a pair of clothes, any medications, your phone charger, etc.
- Put Together an “Unpacking Box” Filled with Packing SuppliesThe second box you should put together is an unpacking box filled with packing supplies: a box that is filled with everything you will need in order to actually move into house house. Think box cutter, cleaning supplies, a few extra snacks, etc.
- Trade in the Bubble Wrap for ClothingWhile you should certainly use bubble wrap for certain items, such as paintings, you can save some money on packing supplies by trading in your bubble wrap for clothing (it works for dishes, too!)
- Wrap Liquid Bottles in Plastic WrapAvoid explosions and a future headache by wrapping liquid bottles in plastic wrap prior to packing.
If you are looking to rent a storage unit in Burlington, contact UltraStor today. We are a state-of-the-art storage facility.